Tasks, notes, drafts, and files are not the only information you need to manage at work. You also have emails, appointments, and passwords. I have some tips for all three.
Also, I strongly believe that having great tools helps you do great work. If you're typing much of the day, global autocorrection and text expansion can help you reduce typos and increase speed.
Lastly, using a computer is not just about software: hardware is important too. Use the best keyboard and pointing device that you can, and set up multiple displays (or a really big monitor) if you can, too.
- Don't spend too much time organizing email.
- Schedule meetings with yourself to block off time on your calendar.
- Use a password manager to remember all your passwords.
- Install autocorrection and text expansion software to aid in typing.
- Invest in great peripherals if you are most desk-bound: a great keyboard, mouse, and multiple monitors will make you more productive.